Find Laws Find Lawyers Free Legal Forms USA State Laws
Home » Legal News » Judge Halts Sales From Wind Turbine Company

Judge Halts Sales From Wind Turbine Company

April 10, 2013 04:16pm  
 Judge Halts Sales From Wind Turbine Company

According to documents filed in Minnesota courts last week, a renewable energy company in Minnesota told farmers that wind turbines would pay for themselves in a few months or years through a combination of grants and energy credits.  However, farmers who purchased the systems at a minimum price of $119,000 quickly found out that their money was difficult to come by—because Renewable Energy SD failed to actually provide the systems farmers had bought.

While in some cases the Minnesota Attorney General's office says that Renewable Energy SD provided no wind turbine whatsoever to the farmers who had bought them in the hopes of generating energy and making some money on the side with their farmland, in other cases they didn't help farmers to achieve the revenue projections they claimed were realistic when erecting a wind turbine.

The Minnesota AG filed for an emergency restraining order against Renewable Energy SD, saying that they should no longer be allowed to sell their wind turbine systems until complaints alleging that their systems were improperly maintained and installed are investigated.

Renewable Energy SD, which has a D- rating on the Better Business Bureau website after repeated complaints against the company, is accused of having scammed up to 150 customers who had purchased the six-figure wind turbine systems.

The state of Minnesota, particularly in its western half, is considered especially fertile territory for wind energy generation.  Renewable Energy SD told farmers and others that putting a wind turbine on their property would generate relatively fast returns.  According to documents obtained by the Attorney General's office, farmers were told that 30 percent of the cost of the windmills would be borne by tax credits, while the remaining 70 percent could be gotten by generating energy and selling it back to the energy companies for $700 to $1300 every month.  However, without fully functioning wind turbines, farmers say they were unable to realize anything close to the rate of return that they had been promised by Renewable Energy SD.

Four different individual farmers had filed individual lawsuits against Renewable Energy SD before the complaint was picked up by the Minnesota Attorney General.  According to the AG, Renewable Energy SD has also failed to renew its certificate of authority, meaning that any business it has transacted since August of 2012 has been without correct authorization from the state of Minnesota.



Must Read

Air Pollution Overview Air Pollution Overview
All living things are entitled to breath air that is not unreasonably polluted.
All You Need to Know About The Clean Water Act & Its Amendments All You Need to Know About The Clean Water Act & Its Amendments
The Clean Water Act laid the the foundation for the body of environmental laws pertaining to the fight against polluted water.
Clean Air Act Clean Air Act
The Clean Air Act was first adopted in 1970.
Easy Guide to Regulations Easy Guide to Regulations
Ever since the beginning of civilization, pollution was a problem.
Environmental Justice Explained Environmental Justice Explained
Environmental justice is a concept that is closely associated to social justice.
Environmental Law Overview Environmental Law Overview
Environmental law covers a myriad of topics that involve the protection of the environment.
Environmental Laws At A Glance Environmental Laws At A Glance
Environmental laws are meant to protect the environment, to ensure a healthier future for humanity.
Environmental Remediation Explained Easy Environmental Remediation Explained Easy
Environmental remediation is process by which contaminates or pollutants are removed from an area.